Monday, December 16, 2013

What is art anyway?

While dating my wife and I would sometimes stay at my parent's house and just hang out and paint. Sometimes we would get some decent stuff and other times it would look nothing like what was in our mind's eye. I've always enjoyed art and was pretty good at drawing as a teen. But art in its many forms is so subjective. I saw this poster the other day and it really got me thinking...



And it really got me thinking about how many times we say that! About a lot of things, not just modern art. How many times do we hear a song, see a movie, watch a sports event and say "I could do that!" But the fact of it is, we continue to jut sit and watch instead of get up and do.
So the whole family did some painting today. Jesika painted the one of the owl, I painted the skyline (I call it "Making Room for Nature") And Juliana did the couple with the birds, and Caleb was just experimenting with mixing colors and liking what came out!
-Making Room for Nature

So if you enjoy doing something, who's to say you have to be good at it? Who's really good at something the first time they try? By honing and crafting your skill you could create something that someone down the road would say of: your painting hanging in your gallery, your album of songs, your book of poems, or your house you designed and built; "Hey, I could do that!" But the difference is that you did it! So keep creating and don't sell yourself short of what you can do!
If you feel so inclined, I'd love for everyone to start sharing what you're doing to create more. Use the hashtag #CLCM and/or #consumelesscreatemore. You can tweet me @mitchellcj or find me on Facebook.com/cjmitcell3

Big thanks to Kevin and Tanya Mitchell for sharing about making their Christmas Tree out of a tomato cage and garland!





















And Heather Doolittle for some creative Gifts she and her girls made!
















Thanks for reading and sharing!

No comments:

Post a Comment